I disappeared from the online world for a few weeks. It has been extremely stressful, hectic and it’s just getting to become more real that a lot of changes ARE happening and will be happening for the next few months.
There are less than three months for my wedding and like a lot of people say, the last few months are crucial. We need to get everything in order with the decorations, venue, etc. before the wedding. But most importantly, we need to finish up our apartment as soon as possible. A few of my family members who are flying in are staying at my parents’ house the week before the wedding so I’ll probably stay at the apartment. Hopefully we can get everything done and purchased in time.
Lately, I have:
- Started designing the wedding invites. I decided to tackle them myself. I’ve been designing them on Adobe Illustrator but I’m still not 100% happy with them. Hopefully they will be done by mid-October so we can send them out.
- After finishing reading ‘Divergent’ (review will be up soon) from my to read list, I begun reading ‘Insurgent’. I haven’t had a lot of time to finish reading it but I’m halfway done, it’s great so far.
- Photographed another wrestling show.
- Finished paying off my wedding dress, just need to order the veil and sash and I’m done with the wedding outfit details.
- Juan and I will start a business project soon that really has me excited, we are figuring out all the details during the next few months.
- Have been taking some time for myself. Usually, I always do things for others but not for myself. I decided to be a little selfish every now and then, and spend time with the person I know the most, myself.
- Tried food I always avoided and ended up loving it.
That’s just a little summary of what I’ve been up to lately. I’m sure there’s more to add on that list but I honestly don’t remember right now. I’m working on a few posts to have published during these next few weeks so I don’t abandon this place.
What have you been up to lately?
When Juan and I got engaged, one of the first things we discussed was the wedding budget. We are usually very frugal with our spending and don’t want a lavish life. It’s just not us.
I was doing some research on weddings: the whole process (planning, budget, vendors, etc.), and it was a complete surprise how much money people usually spend on weddings. Did you know that the average wedding cost in the United States is $25,200? I didn’t know that fact, and went a little crazy when I read it. It seems absolutely excessive and unrealistic to spend that much money in a wedding that’s going to be a couple of hours in just one day. With that kind of money, you can buy things for the house or apartment, you can save it in a bank account, there are many things you could do with that money that would be more beneficial for the couple’s life. Especially when they begin their journey as husband and wife.
I’m glad we have managed to keep our wedding budget as low as possible. We are both paying for 95% of the wedding, so it was important for us to keep our priorities in order and think about what’s more important. Generally speaking, we have spent more on our honeymoon (which is going to be two weeks) than our wedding because we felt that a trips out of the country are not as common, we won’t be able to have them often and we wanted to enjoy two weeks for ourselves, and enjoy a new place.
Even with the honeymoon, we have managed to keep our budget at $5,000 and I think we have done a great job at keeping the costs as low as possible. It hasn’t been easy, because most vendors in Puerto Rico charge about double of what they would usually charge everywhere else (especially photographers), but we have made it work.
For a 6 hour wedding plus reception, we couldn’t really justify going higher than that. And I’m so glad we were strict about it. I’m not judging people that do spend that amount of money in a wedding, I just think that it’s not effective to spend that much in an event that’s going to be a couple of hours long (in most cases).
For those of you that are married? What do you think about the whole wedding budget subject? Did you go all out, or did you try to save some money?