As this years comes to a close, reflection is not far behind. I like to be able to document accomplishments and challenges faced during the year, divided by months. You can read my recaps for 2013, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2021.
A summary of my 2023:
- Made a list of goals I wanted to accomplish during 2023. There were 4 goals: Have a breast reduction surgery, get to a healthier weight, separate time each week for self-care and have quality time with friends and family in a consistent manner. I’m happy to say that I was able to check off every single one of those goals.
- We purchased a stationary bike (we got a great deal at Sam’s Club) so we could have something to help with cardio exercises at home.
- We started using a meal prep service so we could eat better during the week.
- Went to a Whiskey Expo. I had tried Whiskey before but was only an occasional drinker, have always preferred wine. Nowadays, I do enjoy a good old fashioned drink. Probably one of my favorites.
- Started to actively research surgeons in Puerto Rico that offer breast reductions as part of their services. Most of my research was done through search engines and Instagram. I was very surprised to see the amount of surgeons that are active on there.
- In the spirit of trying new things, Juan and I participated in a painting class at an ice cream atelier. It was a lot of fun.
- Stayed at a beautiful Airbnb property in Aguadilla with friends. The property had a pool so we took advantage of using the pool and some BBQ, plus also going out to some of our favorite places to eat or for recreation.
- The girls I was mentoring for the Codepillars Club had their graduation for the sixth edition of the club.
- Had a breaking point emotionally when I had to find a dress to wear for an event. There was almost nothing I could wear because of my breasts. I only found one dress (after trying on about 6), one I didn’t like or think that complimented me, but it was all I found. This is when I knew I needed to get a breast reduction surgery as soon as possible. Coincidentally, this event was on a Saturday, and I had my breast reduction consultation the Tuesday right after.
- Scheduled the date of my breast reduction surgery with my surgeon. The surgery date would be on October 12, 2023.
- Traveled to Orlando, FL to accompany Juan to a work event. I took two days off during the trip to be able to enjoy some sightseeing and the rest I worked remotely. Went to Universal Studios for the first time, and we had a great time.
- This was also the first time we were able to visit an airport lounge since we got the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card that included a Priority Pass membership. The comfort, private bathrooms and food made it worth it.
- This month is when I began to notice the weight coming off quickly. We had switched to a keto meal prep service a few months prior and I was exercising regularly (cardio + lifting weights). Since I had the date of my surgery scheduled for October, this was the moment to lose as much weight as I could (but in a safe way).
- Started to document my process of prepping for my breast reduction surgery through social media, Instagram specifically.
- Juan and I attended a fresh pasta making class. I’ve always loved pasta and was curious of learning how to make fresh pasta with good ingredients. It was a great time and I’m looking forward to making some fresh pasta at home when possible.’
- This month was crunch time for breast reduction surgery prep. I ordered items that would help me during recovery plus new clothing to use after the fact.
- This time was fueled by a lot of emotions: doubts, fear and excitement. I was feeling everything at once, but I let myself feel without needing assurance. And even though there were times where my anxiety would take over, I am proud of the way I handled myself during that time.
- I had a party with my closest friends called Ta-ta to the Ta-tas. I wanted to have a quirky way of saying goodbye to my breasts with the people I love the most. We had food, karaoke, and such a good time. We even had a breast themed cake.
- On October 11, the day before my surgery, I had to go to the surgeon’s office to get all the marking done on my body.
- Surgery day was on October 12. I had to be at the hospital at 6am. This day is truly a blur. After I got wheeled in to the operating room I truly don’t remember much about the day. From what the surgeon and Juan told me after, everything went smoothly with the surgery and they were able to remove 6+ pounds of tissue from my breasts.
- Recovery was better than I expected. I would say the first week was the worst in terms of pain, comfort and movement. I required assistance with everything. After the first week (and after I got my drains removed), everything improved drastically. Hoping to cover more of the entire process in future blog posts.
- I am eternally grateful for all the support from Juan during this process. He took care of me and was there for me during the entire process. This is something that will always stay with me as one of my treasures.
- Returned to work after taking some time off for surgery recovery.
- Still needed some assistance with a few things but was mostly able to do everything by myself.
- For my first outing after the surgery, we went to the Disney 100 in Concert. It was just what I needed, Disney songs and a good time. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.
- Turned 34 years old on November 8. Had a gathering with friends that next weekend to celebrate. This is when my friends were able to see me in person after the surgery, everyone was shocked by the difference.
- Had my one month post-op appointment. Everything is looking good and there have been no complications. I am so grateful.
- Went clothes shopping because everything I had from before the surgery was too big on me. This was a pivotal moment for me because this meant that my hard work on getting into a better shape, saving up for the surgery and going through it was worth it, including all the physical relief from all the back and neck pain I had before.
- This month is where I have been feeling completely back to normal. I feel like myself again and am truly grateful about everything that’s happened. The happiness I feel is indescribable.
- Was the main resource for a tech talk called: Diversión y Seguridad en el Ciberespacio (Fun and Safety in Cyberspace), given to teenage girls from C3Tec’s Codepillars Club in Puerto Rico.
- To celebrate our wedding anniversary, we stayed at an Airbnb property at Aguadilla for a weekend. It was a container home with a heated plunge pool. Even though it rained an extensive amount during that weekend, we had a wonderful time. We were able to visit some food places that became one of our favorite places in Aguadilla.
- Had an end of year brunch with friends at a cool food spot named Zajori Gastro Show on December 30. The food was delicious and it was such a great catch up with friends before the year ends.
- Deepening friendships and moments spent with them.
- Having my breast reduction surgery and being able to experience all the changes because of it.
- Strengthening my relationship with Juan.
What was the highlight of your 2023? Let me know in the comments!