Scooby Scooby

Almost lost him

On Saturday afternoon, my youngest dog Scooby, almost died. It was an awful and scary situation and I hope I don’t ever have to go through it again. I went to the backyard to get them inside since it was raining a lot, and then I saw Scooby. He was laying down, barely breathing and looked lifeless. You can’t even imagine what went through my mind at that moment. I started screaming and crying, I thought my baby was gone. We wrapped him up in a blanket and tried to get him to a vet. The one closest to our house was closed so we had to go to another one about 15 minutes away.

He wasn’t looking good. I was so scared that I was going to lose him because he wasn’t reacting at all, it was like he was in shock. At that time, money was no object, I wanted to do whatever it took to make him be okay. We had to leave him there, but after countless hours of me crying and praying for him to be okay, we were able to take him home the next day. He was very, very weak but I was so happy to have him with me. He was going to be okay. The vet couldn’t really say 100% sure what happened, but he’s guessing is a blood parasite caused by tick, which made his calcium go down, and his platelets are way below the average (he’s at 40K, when the average is 200K).

We are giving him antibiotics and trying to make him eat, and he’s looking a lot better. He’s starting to act like his old self again and that makes me so happy. I wasn’t able to sleep since Saturday, but now that I see that he’s getting better, I can finally start calming down.

We have taken the necessary precautions to avoid having this happening again. My dogs never had ticks or fleas, but I think my house got them from the dogs that used to be next door. We had an exterminator come and do a treatment, here’s to hoping that kills everything that might hurt my dogs.

My poor, poor baby.


  1. Oh no! Poor doggy! I’m so glad he’s alright. I had sort of a similar situation with my cat. Pest control entered my apartment without my permission and laid down some rat poison that she got into. I was so scared and furious but she’s fine now.

    1. Thank you Joy! I’m so glad your cat is fine now, that would infuriate me so much, having them come to my home and do that without telling me, especially if I have pets.

  2. Hi Nicole, so sorry to hear about Scooby. I wish him a speedy recovery.
    A pet forms a bond with us that is greater than any friendship or even family relation; it’s a mutual and honest desire to be near for love. With no risks of betrayal or interests (well, except food sometimes) a dog or a cat can become part of you so I know how you feel.

    Sadly, my mom broke the news to me that I had lost one of my dogs this morning, her name was Luna. A reckless driver ran over her and didn’t even had the courage to stop. Most people these days are so out of touch with reality that we can safely say that empathy is an endangered human capacity. What happened to Luna is an example of this and it breaks my heart. Today has been a dark day for my whole family but not as dark as for the widower, “Pepin”. They loved each other so much that they would never left their side. To find Pepin in Luna’s bed tears me up inside. People use the word “animal” to describe wild behavior but, I wish we were more like them. I wish people could love like my dogs loved each other.

    1. Thank you Jonah! Pets really become family, and unlike humans, my pets have always been loyal and have shown me unconditional love.

      I’m so sorry about Luna, it’s the worst to lose a pet (I’ve been there). It infuriates me how people can be so reckless and not even care about the poor animals they ran over. I really hope Pepin can feel better :( Keep Luna deep inside your heart, and remember her at her best *hugs*

  3. Oh my gosh, Nicole – I can only imagine how you must have felt, seeing him become so ill so quickly! That must have been an absolute nightmare! :(

    Anyways, I’m really glad you guys were able to figure out what was going on so quickly and I hope Scooby will be back to his old self again soon!

    Our dogs get ticks all of the time, but since they are outside dogs and a little bigger than Scooby (they’re German shepherds) I imagine that ticks’ poison doesn’t quite strike them as quick and hard as it does with a smaller dog. Usually we check them out twice a week to make sure that we’ve not missed anything. The ticks we find often have attached themselves to the flesh underneath the dogs’ “armpit” or their muzzle, so if you stay suspicious, those would be the first places to check for pesky ticks.

    Ps. He’s such a cutie, hope that the exterminators were able to get rid of all the pests that could potentially harm your pups!

  4. Oh no :( I’m so glad Scooby made it through, what a little fighter! He reminds me of my Yorkie, Buddy. Buddy gets sick at times where my family and I think he’s not going to make it but he pulls through in a day or two… it’s amazing what these little dogs can do and how they just bounce back.

    Ticks are wretched little bugs, I hate them… wish they never existed, honestly (I have no idea what their purpose is, but for us animal lovers, I’m not fond of them!!) Glad he is feeling better again, he is adorable! :D

  5. What a scare! I’m sorry you had to go through that. Haven’t gone through that specific experience but yes many scares with out pets (Mako once ate rat poison pills, Giada ran away one day, etc.). Our lives stop for a minute, they really are like our children. Glad he’s doing better now. Anything you need let me know. Xoxo.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *